Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Boulder Mountain and Strawberry Fishing Trips


Wow, it has been a long time since I updated this thing. I will start with our trip to the Boulder Mountains in July. Let's just say that at times it was the trip from hell, while at other times it was heavenly. It all started when we made the mistake of taking Phil's uncle's rinky dink trailer with tires the size of wagon wheels. To make it short, the wheel fell off, the axle snapped on top of the mountain, and we had to arrange for another trailer to be brought down. In the midst of all of this we were able to fish Mcgath lake, which was hard to find, but incredible once we figured it out. Zenger, Phil, and myself all caught between 8-10 beautiful brookies that had great size. We also saw a big cinnamon colored bear just as we were leaving. Zenger wanted to shoot it but I talked him out of it. We also caught fish at Oak Creek and I had good success at Deep Creek jigging just off the shore. The fishing was phenomenal and our mood was getting better until Zenger ran over my fly rod and reel. Just part of the trip.

As for Strawberry, it picked up in July and we were able to bring three 5-pounders into the boat. Jared, Zenger, and myself all caught monsters. On top of that the fishing was good for cutts. Unfortunately, the chub population continues to increase at the berry. Hopefully, this doesn't force them to poison the lake again. Overall, fishing has been good and the hunts are starting soon.

3 comments:

THEBLUEMAN said...

Looks like a lot of fun I am kicking myself in the butt because i was unable to make the trip. i look forward to it next year, so i hope i have not blown my invitation. GREAT POST

yeti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yeti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.