Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Provo River Flyfishing

Today Justin and I spent a couple hours flyfishing the Provo River. We arrived at Vivian Park at about 7:30 a.m. and spent 30 minutes trying to find a place to fish. The river is running super high and super fast. We found one hole that was fishable and within 5 minutes I had one on. After a short fight, Justin netted the beautiful brown trout. I was shocked-I never catch anything on the Provo. Justin then took the hole over and caught a smaller brown. We were stoked to be having some success. After hiking around looking for other spots with no success, we ended at the same hole. I caught one more fish and then snapped my line. Overall, we only spent about 30 minutes actually fishing, but it was well worth it. I think that I may have the hang of it. For the record, I was fishing two flies a size 18 small grey fly with a red head and a size 16 hare's ear. Ialso used a zebra midge and another small grey fly (no red). The setup was as follows: size 3x leader-7.5 ft with 4x tippet. It went leader, 2 1/2 ft. tippet to first fly, then 10-12 in. more tippet to the second fly. Indicator was put where the tippet is tied on and sinker placed about 5-6 inches above first fly. That's the scoop. I look forward to getting back there soon. I have to mention that while we were fishing I heard a loud bang that sounded like a gunshot. Shortly after the noise, ambulances began making their way up and down the canyon. We left about 10 minutes after the ambulances went passed. About a mile down the canyon was an accident. It turned out to be fatal with one man dying. It really shook me. Life can end at anytime-kind of a scary thought!

No comments: